US tour leg III Friday

Gipsy Kings concerts and tours, past, present and future, including concert reviews.

US tour leg III Friday

Postby musicfan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if they made another concert video?

Imagine if they streamed the concerts live on some web channel...... still not quite the same as experiencing the music live.

For those who are going, enjoy! Also keep your ears peeled for the opening act. Really nice surprise.

........Still hoping the band will be complete again one day.
musicfan

Re: US tour leg III Friday

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi musicfan,

I will be seeing them this Friday 8/30 -- four more days! Thanks for the heads up about the opening act.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Sirena » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Anyone know how the tour is going?

Must be odd without both Patchai and the wonderful, colourful Canut.
Sirena

Postby Jusquin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Sirena wrote:Must be odd without both Patchai and the wonderful, colourful Canut.

Sadly, that's the reason why, for the first time since I began following them years ago, I didn't go to see them this year.
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,

The Los Angeles concert (August 30 at the Greek Theatre) was great! Before it started, around 7:30, we were in the "VIP lounge" which is a kind of outdoor deck. I was talking to a woman who said that the concert started at 8:45. I said no, it starts at 8:00. She replied that there is a "special guest" from 8:00 to 8:25, then an intermission from 8:25 - 8:45. I told her that the "special guest" was their sons who have formed their own group, that they're great so she'll want to go down there to see them! During the intermission, I saw the woman again and she thanked me for telling her.

rainbow_glo on the Forum had posted a link to her website with photos of the members of the new group, Olé Noys, from a concert earlier this year. I had printed out the photos so I could remember who's who. I already knew Mickael Baliardo, because I saw him last year. Mickael was there. So was Yohan Reyes, Nicolas' son, who was in the photos. But there was a Thomas Reyes in the photos who is Andre's son, and I don't think he was at the concert, I think it was a different Reyes son, because Nicolas said all their names at the end, and I think the name was different, and he looked different from the photo of Thomas, even though those Reyes sons look a lot alike, especially since all three have beards. Cosso Baliardo, another one of Tonino's sons, was in the photos, but I don't think he was there, I think it was another son, who was doing percussion, drumming on some wooden instrument.

Anyway, they (Yohan, Mickael, and the other two) were fantastic! Yohan and the other Reyes son did most of the singing, and both were great, but Yohan really had that special magic indicating that he'll follow in his father's footsteps. Mickael also sang at times, and he's excellent too. What was really interesting was their choice of songs. Two were songs from before the Gipsy Kings. Two were songs from Gipsy Kings albums that are not the usual favorites that they sing at concerts.

The first song they sang, I don't know the name of. I recognized it as being the song sung by the very young Patchai and Canut in this YouTube video of an informal performance:

Gipsy Kings Canut et Patchai Reyes with Nina Corti
Short video of young Canut and Patchai (pre-GK) in Saintes Maries de la Mer informal performance with Flamenco dancer Nina Corti. Narration, a woman speaking German. You can also see José Reyes on the right. Everyone else is wearing shirts, no jackets, but José has a shawl around him as well, so he was probably already very ill at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLC--rt ... re=related

(I just realized that this video is poignant in another way, besides José probably being already dying at the time. This is Patchai and Canut together. Now so many years later, Patchai has started the new group Gipsy Nouveau which at first was just him with his sons and son-in-law, but now Canut is in the group too, this info from Jusquin on the Forum. Patchai and Canut are together supporting each other now that their other brothers don't want them in the Gipsy Kings anymore.)

Olé Noys' second song was "Gitan Poete," the first song on the José Reyes y Los Reyes CD of the same name. (This album featured José, Nicolas, Canut, Paul, Patchai, and former GK member Chico.) They also sang "Papa No Pega La Mama" from the early GK album Allegria and "Solo, Solo Diré" from Somos Gitanos. Then they sang more recent songs like "All Night Long" with mostly Spanish lyrics, except for the line "All night long." I know they sang a couple of other songs but I can't remember. Their voices and guitar playing are so powerful. As far as their singing is concerned, it's like a combination of the youthful voices of their fathers when they were their age, plus having more confidence because of practicing with their fathers over the years and seeing / hearing them develop as concert artists. The original Reyes brothers of the GK sang and played with their father José who was the greatest of all, but for many years they had a hard life where they had to spend a lot of time doing other work.

Then after the intermission, the Gipsy Kings came on, (in order from stage right) Paul, Andre, Nicolas, Tonino, Paco, and Mickael again. They had so much energy and were in great spirits. Tonino smiled a lot! The usual members of the backup band were also there. The first song was sung by Nicolas, "A Ti A Ti." They've begun more than one concert with that song. He also sang "Quiero Saber," "Un Amor," "Djobi Djoba," "Samba," and another song that is a beautiful, emotional ballad I've heard him sing before at a concert, but it's not on an album and I don't know the name of it. Before he sang it, he said in Spanish that he was going to sing this song for all of you with all his heart. This is what he always says before he sings "Un Amor," but this time he said it before this song. He really did put his whole heart into it. At one point I thought I saw a tear run down his face, but he could have been perspiring.

Andre sang "La Negra" and "La Dona." Paul sang "A Tu Vera" and another song, I can't remember which one. I know there were couple of other songs that I couldn't remember when I was writing down the songs at home later. Of course there were several instrumental numbers starring Tonino, but I can't remember the names of these since they don't have lyrics. At the end Nicolas sang "Bamboleo." It's very funny every time I hear this in concert. Tonino starts softly and gradually and I know it's Bamboleo, but most of the audience doesn't know what song it's going to be, they don't "get it" until that one distinctive moment when they all cheer and applaud. I can't describe it musically, but I'm sure you all know what I mean. For the encore, Nicolas sang "Volare." When I got home, I also wrote down "Baila Me -- Yohan." That was not in the Olé Noys part of the concert, but the Gipsy Kings part, I think it was also part of the encore.

I did miss Canut and Patchai, of course. Earlier this year, I didn’t think I was going to go to this year’s concert because of the sad situation. But a Forum member in a private message asked me if I was going to go, so I checked a ticket reseller website and found an amazing deal on “VIP box” tickets, which really aren’t fabulous, the whole Section A is in front of you, but there is a good view of the stage. I’m glad I did go after all; I was glad to see Olé Noys too. This is the tenth year in a row I’ve seen the Gipsy Kings. But I don’t think I'll keep going every year.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi, Amanda!

Nice review of the LA concert. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The song that Canut and Patchaï are singing in the video with Nina Corti is "Ay No." It's on Canut's album, Bolero.

The close relationship between the two, I believe, goes back to their childhood. There is a nice photograph I've seen of them as schoolchildren. I don't know their ages at the time, but they're very young, elementary school age. Canut tall, thin, and smiling is on the right, with his arms hanging straight down; Patchaï rounder-faced and lighter-haired, barely grinning, is on the left, but his arms are slightly spread as if to say, "Look at me!" They are the only two Reyes brothers in the photo. I don't know if they were both in the same class, but it's possible.

I haven't heard much from Patchaï lately, aside from how much he adores his baby grandson. If I do hear anything I can share, I will.

Regards,
Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Sirena » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:19 am

Thanks for the review. It's always nice to hear the fan's versions of shows and albums.

I read some reviews of the current tour, via Ticketmaster, and a few fans complained that the shows were too short:

http://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171/73 ... eviews.htm

But, you had a good time and that's what counts.

I wonder if any fans who met them, had the nerve to ask about the missing bros' The devil in me would make me ask...and probably get me unceremoniously ejected from backstage. :D
Sirena

Postby Jusquin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm

I ALMOST asked about the absence of Canut and Patchaï when I met the band and their manager, Michel, last August.

But a little voice inside told me not to -- and I'm glad I didn't, knowing now what I suspected (but wasn't sure of) then.
Jusquin

Postby Sirena » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:41 am

Jusquin wrote:I ALMOST asked about the absence of Canut and Patchaï when I met the band and their manager, Michel, last August.

But a little voice inside told me not to -- and I'm glad I didn't, knowing now what I suspected (but wasn't sure of) then.

Hi, Jusquin

I'm intrigued about what you suspected the issue was. Is it anything you can reveal openly?

I've liked the Gipsy Kings for some years now. I think, possibly, Bamboleo or Djobi Djoba got me onto them. Then, I got a couple of CDs ...a kind 'best of' Los Reyes. They came in 2 volumes: The Gipsy Family Los Reyes.

But, I've only recently started to take an interest in lives and personalites. I think it stemmed from seeing the 'Live from Kenwood House' video, which is aired every so often here in the UK, on sky arts channel. I then caught up with quite a lot of stuff via youtube. I'm rather partial to Patchai and Canut, especially the latter. So distinct from the others, very talented artist and seems to quite a character. Never met the GK of course, but, feel I'd gravitate towards him and Patchai. Coincidentally, the two, who appears to be the outsiders at this time. Hmmm.....

If there is a falling out, of course, they wont be the first or last, musical siblings to hit sour notes with each other. The Bee Gees spring to mind. I was saddened to hear that right 'til Robin's passing, he and Barry weren't on speaking terms. Right from their musical start in the 1960's and the death of two of their brothers (including Maurice who was a Bee Gee) the nonsense carried on..... :cry: Now, Barry is encouraging other siblings to mend fences before it's too late.
Sirena

Postby Jusquin » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi, Sirena,

I, too, have been a fan of the band for a long time. I have all of their albums, and Canut's two solo albums. I have been able to follow some of what goes on with them because I speak French and some Spanish and can usually translate what they, family members, friends, and fans have posted on their own sites and on Facebook.

To answer your question about what I can reveal, I'll ask you a question -- Have you read the Gipsy Nouveau thread under the General Discussion header? You might find answers to some of your question there. After that, if you have any additional questions, I'll try to help you where I can.

Regards,
Jusquin
Jusquin

Next

Return to Concerts and Tours