sends a shiver up my spine

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

sends a shiver up my spine

Postby billyboggins » Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amdIGtlm ... 0C1947D9B3
any Spanish folk care to translate or at least give us a flavour of the songs meaning ?
billyboggins

Re: sends a shiver up my spine

Postby Jusquin » Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi, Billy!

That song sends a shiver up my spine as well. Canut sings with such undeniable passion evident in every note. Sometimes you get a perfect combination of singer and song, and that's what "Sirenas" is.

Without translating every word in the lyrics, I can tell you that the song is about heartbreak and an unattainable woman -- a Siren -- whom he can only dream about but cannot forget. If you know Greek mythology, the Sirens were beautiful women whose songs were so bewitching that they drove sailors mad and lured them to either jump into the sea or drive their ships to wreck on their rocky island. From this comes the expression "siren song" -- an appeal that is nearly impossible to resist, but that if followed will lead to misfortune.

In the song, those who have answered the call of the Siren -- or have had their hearts broken by this woman -- are likened to "la compaña al fondo del mar" (the company at the bottom of the sea). As Canut sings it, this woman has caused "lagrimas sin final" (unending tears) and a grief so profound that just seeing him walk by is enough to make a star in the sky cry: "a mis pasos una estrella en el cielo también lloro."

I hope this helps!

The song was originally recorded -- with Canut singing -- on an album put out by the Boclé Brothers (who produced Canut's solo album Gitano) in 2010. That album is called Keltic Tales: Crossfields, and the song is introduced by funereal-sounding drums and sung very slowly, almost like a dirge.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby billyboggins » Fri May 17, 2013 3:49 pm

Thanks very much Jusquin,that is a great reply and now makes the song even more enjoyable,thanks once again
billyboggins

Postby Jusquin » Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi, Billy!

Glad to have been of help! I'm pleased to know that you think my explanation will make the song more enjoyable for you.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Thanks for your reply. Sirenas is a hauntingly beautiful song that's like nothing else I've ever heard. I've loved this song ever since Canut posted the video on his blog. I was able to understand the basic meaning of the siren and some of the lyrics, but your explanation added to my understanding.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi, Amanda!

Thanks!

This song moved me to tears when I first heard it, and has several times since. Canut just has this ability to express in his incredible voice the inarticulate cries of the heart; I don't know how else to describe it.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Jusquin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:34 pm

I finally have the lyrics, in Spanish and in English translation, for "Sirenas"! (I really believe that this is one of the most profoundly heartbreaking songs I have ever heard, especially with that keening at the end. Moving and powerful!)

Amor embrujado, que se fue con el mar
Sueño con tu cuerpo de Sirena
que no vuelve ya mas.
Tu canto a lo lejos, que me muero del dolor
Dentro de mi pecho solo hay oscuridad. Lagrimas sin final
Pena eterna me acompaña hasta el fondo del mar.
A mi paso una estrella en el cielo también lloro.

Bewitched love, that went away with the sea
In my dreams, your body and your mermaid song
That no longer will return.
Your singing in the distance. I am dying of sorrow.
Inside of me only darkness remains. Tears with no end.
Eternal sadness comes with me to the bottom of the sea.
As I walk in sorrow, a star in the sky also weeps.
Jusquin

Postby musicfan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks!
musicfan

Postby Amanda » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi Jusquin!

Many thanks for the beautiful lyrics of "Sirenas"! :D

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion