Gipsy Nouveau

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

Re: Gipsy Nouveau

Postby Amanda » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi musicfan,

Thanks for asking for the lyrics to Sueño. I can understand a lot of them, but not 100%, so it would be nice to know what they are in Spanish, plus the English translation. The reference to a brother is "Hermano, estaré contigo para siempre" (Brother, I will be with you always). The song may have many layers of meaning or interpretations about who is singing to whom.

Jusquin, would you be able to provide the lyrics if you have time? Thanks!

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi, Amanda and musicfan,

Did this tonight, a quick run-through of what I think I'm hearing, and may be a little off (my Spanish isn't nearly as good as my French) but this is, I think, pretty close. Maybe someone else can correct me. (We're facing an impending death in the family, have to leave early Wednesday a.m., and will be gone for two weeks or so.)

Sueño, sueño
El niño soñando en amor
Soñando en amor

Libre, libre
Libre como el viento de poema
Ay, de poema

Súbito pasará el tiempo de la vida
De la vida llegaras (not sure if this word is llegaras)
Ahora es para ti y el momento
De tu sueño, de tu sueño

Niño, niño,
Niño, dice años tienes tu
Ay, tienes tu

Hermano, hermano,
hermano estàre contigo para siempre,
Para siempre

Sueño, sueño, duerme, niño.

Translation:

Dream, dream
The child, dreaming in love,
Dreaming in love.

Free, free,
Free as the wind of a poem,
Yes, of a poem

Suddenly passes the time of life
Of life, (not sure if this word is llegaras; it means arrives, comes around, etc)
Now is for you and the moment of your dream
Of your dream.

Child, child,
Child, say (what) age you are
(What) age you are

Brother, brother,
Brother I will be with you forever,
Forever.

Dream, dream, sleep, child.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby musicfan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks very much!

Peace to you and family at a difficult time.
musicfan

Postby Amanda » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this at such a difficult time. My sympathy to you and your family,

Amanda
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi, Amanda and musicfan,

Thank you very much for your kind expressions of sympathy. My brother-in-law passed away on December 14, and we were with my sister until December 23, when we had to fly home. Christmas was a bit more solemn than usual this year, needless to say.

Just by way of an update on the GK, both Patchaï and his friend have pulled their Facebook pages, although Patchaï's page for Gipsy Nouveau is still up. I was able to send a Christmas greeting to Canut, and it was marked as having been seen, but I still don't know how much he uses his page; there is nothing on it. That's about it. I really haven't had time to do much more "researching" than that, but if I hear anything -- hopefully positive! -- I will let you all know.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby elcaito » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:00 am

Hmm. This thread is very interesting.

When I saw the GK here in Melbourne 2010 (or was it 2011?), both Canut and Patchai were not in the line up. I managed to go back stage thanks to some contacts and met up with Pacheco. When i asked him about why Canut was not here he shrugged his shoulders and almost ignored my question with a sigh, then offered me and my wife if we would like to share some of the backstage finger food to change the topic. I politely declined as I did not want to impose myself whilst they were still trying to change clothes and freshen up. We made a hasty exit I admit. Nicholas and Georges were very smiley and welcoming I thought. So it is obvious Canut is not really a welcomed member of the group and this happened years ago. I dare say sometimes these things happen when a family member betrays another. Anyone's guess.
elcaito

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi elcaito,

Thanks for the insight about your backstage visit several years ago. It must have been 2010, the year of what I call the mysterious misunderstanding between the rest of the group and Canut. For Canut's side of the story, here is the English version of his blog post of March 25, 2010 (blog is francoiscanutreyes.blogspot.com):

“Until the last moment, I hoped. They didn't change their opinion. They are gone…. without me.

Since 1989, I was always present, faithful to the group and the public.

Am I different? yes. I however think of having brought something moreover by my difference.

Each day that made God, I sing, play the guitar, I paint, I laugh, I joke, I live my life... I like that. It's my expression. I like to share it. Which trouble, is there with that.

Often, producers were interested in my work and I however refused not to disturb my brothers; then I gave up showing what I do but one does not stop a river running and my desires, my projects continued to pursue me.

After several years, I decided to do something apart my brothers. It was for my father: the place Jose Reyes. Many people helped me in this project but for me, the troubles started. Reproaches, jealousy. Nothing was saved to me. The year spent, I was not wished on the round of June in the United States. And today, it's the same. I'm alone. They leave for Australia. Is this the will of the manager, Michel ? that of my brothers? What should I do? Abandon my projects, not to paint, not to expose, not to leave CD which I am finishing? Not to exist to occupy only the place which one wants to leave me? I agreed too long to say nothing but my heart and my reason bleed.

Before the last straight line, I wish to show what I have in me. Is this an problem? I don't know if I will be present on round the USA of the next month, it's not me who decides. But no matter what it costs me, the group is my family, my history, my life but I will realize what I always wanted to do. To them to accept it or to refuse it. I regret only reactions that I really don't understand. Let us wait to know for the USA. According to, I will continue my way with the grace of God.”

By October 2010, Canut was back with the group; he was with them in a concert at a resort on Cyprus (someone had uploaded a short video on YouTube). I think he was on the tour in 2011. He wasn't at the concert I attended in 2012, but I didn't think that was unusual, because he was still working on his solo album GITANO. I didn't see him last year either. I knew something was wrong, because in April, in a reply to comments on his blog, he said, “Je ne sais pas encore si j'irais aux Etats-Unis en Août, la décision ne dépend pas de moi et pourtant je serais tellement heureux de revoir mon public américain. C'est comme ça. Mais je saurai m'occuper, en musique.” (There was no English translation, but what he said was basically "I will not be in the U.S. in August, the decision doesn't depend on me...it's like that. But I will be occupied with music.")

Misunderstandings and jealousies can arise within families. This is not a case of one family member "betraying" another. It looks like the others may be envious of Canut because of all that he's done on his own (promoting the monument to their father, his amazing solo album, his painting). I feel terrible about the situation, but we can't judge or blame any of them, because we don't know them personally, and we don't know all sides of the story. We can only hope and pray that things will change for the better.

Amanda
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi, all!

Amanda, I was going to respond here, but you beat me to it. Actually, I was going to say pretty much what you said.

The best English translation I can provide of what Canut said in response to the comments on his blog last year about his being on the U.S. summer tour is, "I do not know yet if I will be going to the United States in August, the decision does not depend on me and yet I would be so happy to see my American public. It's like that. But I will occupy myself with music."

IF -- and admittedly none of us knows IF -- the situation really is (and continues to be) as Canut described it in his blog, he is mired in one of those classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" predicaments. How do you make a choice between your own dreams and those of brothers who might have other expectations? Do what you want and they'll be unhappy; do what they want and you'll be unhappy. "Not to exist, to occupy only the place which one wants to leave me?" or " ... The group is my family, my history, my life, but I will realize what I always wanted to do"? How do you decide?

Elcaito, you said, "I dare say sometimes these things happen when a family member betrays another." I'm sorry, but I don't know what is being referenced here.

If there is a "betrayal" here, who is betraying whom? Is Canut betraying his brothers in choosing to follow the desires of his own heart? Are his brothers betraying him in (seemingly) resenting Canut's using his other talents? Are those around the brothers betraying them all with conflicting commitments, making it impossible for Canut to pursue a solo project and tour with the Gipsy Kings? (It's not as if they were the first band whose members wanted to record solo albums, after all.) Do the other four brothers see Canut's speaking out on his blog as a "betrayal" of them that warrants his ouster?

None of us knows what is really going on. We don't know the band personally, we don't know all sides of the story -- and we don't know if this IS the story or if there are other issues that caused the split. Whatever happened, it's a shame.

As you said, Amanda, we can only hope and pray that things will change for the better. I join you in that.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Well said. Thanks for providing a good translation of Canut's comment. As for solo albums, as you probably know, Canut recorded one earlier, in 1996, BOLERO. And Tonino recorded two solo albums, ESSENCES (2001, Import) and TONINO BALIARDO (2006).

Amanda
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:22 am

Hi, Amanda!

You're welcome! I think that when I get the time I'll try to translate Canut's blog entry a bit more exactly as well -- although the gist is there and there's no doubt as to his feelings, it sounds as if someone just ran it through an online translator.

I have both of Canut's solo albums; when I couldn't get them here he gave me the name of the record shop in Arles and I ordered from there. I have Tonino's more recent album but not the first one. I might try the shop in Arles for that as well.

Also, don't know if you know this, but André recorded a solo album in 1992. He never released it officially but somehow fans got hold of bootleg copies and put them online. I think I was actually surprised that Nicolas didn't have solo albums. He would seem to have been the natural. And now of course Patchaï is recording with Gipsy Nouveau.

I sent a brief message to Canut a week or so ago, just telling him I hoped he was well and happy and doing things he enjoyed. Again, it was marked as "seen," but not otherwise acknowledged (not that I was expecting it; I just like to think that hearing something from fans occasionally is a bright spot in his day).

Jusquin
Jusquin

PreviousNext

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion