Gipsy Nouveau

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

Gipsy Nouveau

Postby Jusquin » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi, everyone!

Has anyone else seen the promotion for Patchaï's group with his sons Titi and Tambo, and son-in-law, Mario Regis, called Gipsy Nouveau? They have an album coming out soon, and the whole gist of the promotion is that -- as a couple of them said in their 25th anniversary video -- the musical tradition that the Gipsy Kings inherited from their fathers and built upon so successfully is now being passed to the next generation of Reyes and Baliardo musicians.

From what I saw in the clip, Gipsy Nouveau is apparently doing a lot of the songs that the Gipsy Kings made famous -- "Bamboleo," "Volare," "Djobi Djoba," "Baila Me," and others we know and love so well.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with this group.

Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbExcLV09SE

Jusquin
Jusquin

Re: Gipsy Nouveau

Postby Amanda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Jusquin!

Many thanks for the link! I didn't know anything about Gipsy Nouveau. It's great to see and hear Patchai doing the lead singing on these favorite songs, and to see him with his sons and son-in-law. I'll bet that's his home -- what a beautiful room. I missed seeing Patchai on the tour this past August; he must have been busy working on this project.

The Gipsy Kings' sons are already well on their way to carrying on their fathers' legacy, and will continue to develop in the future by writing their own songs. I also look forward to seeing what happens with this group, and with the other Gipsy Kings sons.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby musicfan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks for posting. Really beautiful video and vocals.
What a talented family!
Wouldn't it be nice to see Patchai and sons touring with the GK and hear them doing a few solos? (Hope this does not mean Patchai will not be touring with GK anymore.)
Also, Mario is an excellent guitarist. He has filled in for Tonino when Tonino has been unable to do a US tour.
musicfan

Postby Jusquin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi, Amanda and Musicfan!

Glad you enjoyed the video. I thought it was very well done, and I did wonder, Amanda, if that was Patchaï's home.

I can't imagine his not continuing on with Gipsy Kings, however, especially since they are booked for a 25th anniversary concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London in February. I had hoped to meet him and Canut on the tour this past summer, but neither of them came. At the time I didn't know that Patchaï had this project in the works, but Canut says very little of what he's involved in lately, so I don't know why he didn't make it.

I think I have seen videos of Mario playing with the Gipsy Kings, apparently having started filling in for Tonino when he was very young. He is an excellent guitarist. (I think all gipsy boys must be born with guitars attached ... .)

If I hear anything more about Gipsy Nouveau, I'll pass it on.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby rumbero » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:30 pm

patchai is not longer playing for the gk and therefore he started his group with 2 sons and son-in law to do private concerts.
rumbero

Postby Jusquin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Rumbero, this would seem to confirm some of the conversation that has been going on on Facebook, to the effect that the Gipsy Kings as we have known them over the years have split up. As I have been translating the French, I have surmised that both Canut and Patchaï are no longer part of the group.

I thought that Gipsy Nouveau was just a side project for Patchaï and that he was still a part of the GK. I hadn't wanted to post anything about what I had been reading, because I didn't want to post unfounded rumors. But what you just posted seems to confirm it.

One of the exchanges I read asked if Canut had left the group. The answer was, in French, "non il est pas parti on la mis dehors." It translates as "No he didn't leave; he was put out." This response came from a source very close to Patchaï, so I tend to believe her.

If true, it's very sad, and in view of the fact that this is their 25th anniversary year, I find this all a bit baffling, to say the least.
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:51 am

Hi Jusquin,

For Patchai to decide to leave the group to play with his sons is one thing, it's a positive move for him, but if it's true that Canut was "put out," it certainly is very sad and baffling. :cry: He did participate in the 25th anniversary concert in Arles, and was interviewed for the 25th anniversary video. He did look sad when being interviewed, as you or maybe someone else on the Forum mentioned earlier. Maybe it's because he knew it might be the last time he'd play in a concert with them. One can only hope that he will be reconciled with the others.

Nothing lasts forever. I'm glad to have seen Canut and Patchai several times. There is a lot more that I'm feeling right now, but don't have the words to express it. :(

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi, Amanda,

For a while I had been wondering if there was something going on, because Canut has all but discontinued with any presence online. His Facebook page is still up, but he hasn't bothered with it in months, and now just about all content has been taken off. I don't think his "Official Site" page has been updated since the event he hosted in Arles. I don't think he's used Twitter much since his account was hacked some time back. He doesn't blog any longer, either, and I miss that because I truly enjoyed reading what he had to say.

Then when I started reading things that hinted at the dissolution of the band and I saw the message that Canut had been "put out" I was pretty much convinced that I'd been right; that something indeed HAD been going on.

As I said, I didn't want to post here about the things that I'd been reading, because I didn't know much about the people it was coming from and I didn't want to just spread rumors. I think I kept hoping, too, that perhaps I'd made mistakes in my translations and had misinterpreted something.

But the person who posted the "put out" message is about as close to Patchaï as anyone can get, and I can't think that that person would say something that wasn't true. My translation, sadly, is correct; the message, terse and unmistakable -- "No, he didn't leave, he was put out."

I feel very bad for Canut right now. I don't know what else to say ... .

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi Jusquin,

You were wise not to spread rumors even though you suspected something has been going on for a while. I have never followed either Canut's or Patchai's Facebook page, but I have followed Canut's blog since 2007, and have noticed that he hasn't posted anything since April, when he posted about his three-day exhibition in Arles. Since the source is very close to Patchai as you said, and there is no mistake about the translation, it must be true.

I feel very bad for him too. During the mysterious misunderstanding in 2010, he was posting to his blog, so we could also communicate with him, but if he's all but discontinued his presence online, we can't even do that. I'm glad I posted a comment to him on his last post in April.

This would be a sad situation with any kind of musical group, but since this involves his brothers and cousins, it is truly tragic. I don't know what else to say either.

Amanda
Amanda

Postby musicfan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:17 am

Really sad news - hopefully temporary.

What are the lyrics to Sueno on the new CD? I thought I heard a reference to a brother. Connection?
musicfan

Next

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion