La Salvaora

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

La Salvaora

Postby Jusquin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi, everyone!

I've listened to "La Salvaora" from Canut's second solo album many times wondering, because of the lyrics (a child, now 17, born of her parents' forbidden love), if there was a true story behind it. Apparently the song, probably learned from his father, was written by a trio of composers, Antonio Quintero, Rafael de Léon and Manuel Quiroga, and made famous in the 1940s by actor/singers Manolo Caracol and Lola Flores. Caracol was twice Flores' age and married, but he and Flores were believed to be in a relationship that was personal as well as professional.

Quintero, Léon and Quiroga are also the composers of "A Tu Vera" -- which was sung by Lola Flores. ("A tu vera" translates as "at your side" and the gist of the song is "I will be at your side until I die.")

Of course, "La Salvaora" has a very strong Arabic flavor, similar to "Viento del Arena" and "Majiwi," and while researching it, I found this fascinating article discussing that style of music, which apparently is called zambra mora: http://zambra-mora.angelfire.com/ It talks about the connection between the Moriscos and the Gypsies and the intermingling of their music.

Anyway, I thought all this was interesting, and I thought I'd share it.

Jusquin
Last edited by Jusquin on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jusquin

Re: La Salvaora

Postby musicfan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Love it! Thanks so much for sharing.
musicfan

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks, Jusquin! This looks fascinating. I will read it all later.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby musicfan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 pm

I do love this style of music. The song "La Camarga" also fits into this category. I have a music from a number of artists she mentioned but I never knew this music syle was associated with dance.(Ojos de Brujo has an ineresting sound and they are on Spotify.)

Take a look at the FAQ link on the main page. There is a section "WHAT OTHER MUSIC DO YOU RECOMMEND AFTER I HAVE ALL THE GK CDS? ?". I have been trying to xref this with Spotify to listen to some of it.
musicfan

Postby musicfan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:54 pm

musicfan

Postby Jusquin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:40 pm

Thank you for posting that video here, musicfan; I hadn't heard that song in a while and I really enjoyed it.
Jusquin

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion