Ravinia Concert

Gipsy Kings concerts and tours, past, present and future, including concert reviews.

Re: Ravinia Concert

Postby Meli » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 am

Hello Jusquin!

Yes, I agree with you. What I meant to say is that the GK can not play forever and I feel sad because I couldn't know about their music until six years ago. I'm sure their perfomances are full of energy and passion too. Take care! :)

Melissa
Meli

Postby Jusquin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 am

Hi, everyone!

While Canut is not posting on his blog as much as he used to, he does occasionally post videos on Facebook. He has put up several "petit souvenirs" from the concerts in France, the latest being the interview video which he posted on August 13. That said, he isn't sharing anything much in the way of personal news. I, too, hope all is well with him, and told him so in the last message I sent him.

Amanda and Melissa, I understand what you are both saying. Road trips are not easy even for a young band, and singing and playing a guitar and trying to entertain a crowd when you're not feeling well or when you're coping with some difficult personal situation makes them less so.

On a totally different note, there is also something to be said about the idea of legacy, and about this generation of Gipsy Kings teaching and handing on their music to their children, as José Reyes and Manitas de Plata did with them.

All we can do is respect their choices and wish them well, whatever happens.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby musicfan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Well said.....

I am always so grateful when I am able to hear them live. (This is also where I chime in and thank Bob for this web site. Since discovering it, I have never missed a concert because I did not know of it. )

The new CD is wonderful!

With a long ride ahead of me after the concert, I deliberated for some time whether to listen to the new album, or whether to wait a bit to savor it. I wondered whether there would ever be the joy of hearing one of their new albums for the first time. With work and family the solitary block of time might not soon present itself again. I listened with anticipation, and a bit of sadness…. hoping there will be another.

The GK web site has a track listing. My favorite, a lullaby – “Sueno”.

This video captures some of the evening at Ravinia but does not really give a sense of just how large the crowd was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VQihViStRs
musicfan

Previous

Return to Concerts and Tours