Ravinia Concert

Gipsy Kings concerts and tours, past, present and future, including concert reviews.

Ravinia Concert

Postby musicfan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Amazing!

Highlights……
It was a nearly sold out concert.
They did play “Sueño de Noche”, which nearly made me cry. Nicolas’s voice…..
Both Pablo and Mickael took on the role of getting the crowd on their feet.
Tonino had some really beautiful new songs.
About half way through, two of their sons joined them. One bore some resemblance to Nicolas, and based on Jusquin’s comments, I am guessing the other must have been Tonino’s son. (This brought the total number of guitars on stage to eight and you could really feel it.)

At the end, a ninth guitarist joined the group. He has played with the gipsy kings for the last 3 years or so. He had a beautifully autographed guitar, and Canut had drawn a picture of a horse on the back (at a prior concert presumably). It was visible at the end when the guitars were flipped over. He still remains a mystery guest.

I am always so very grateful that I am able to attend the concerts and hear them live. Although there was no meet and greet, there was a really unexpected surprise. The GK merchandise booth was selling the new CD. I was able to listen to it twice on the drive home.

I wish I could say thank you Gipsy Kings for all the wonderful music. Their voices have been a source of joy and solace the last 24 years. I never tire of hearing them.
musicfan

Re: Ravinia Concert

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the concert review, musicfan!

I think it must have been the same two young men who joined the group in L.A. for "Bamboleo." I forgot to mention that. But I didn't see the mystery guest with the guitar embellished by Canut's artwork. I hope we can see Canut himself next year.

You were fortunate to be able to get the new CD! I've notice on Amazon.com that it is available for pre-order, but won't be released until September 10. It would probably be a good idea to order it early.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby rumbero » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 am

the 2 sons were Yoan ( from nicolas ) and cosso ( from tonino)

the mistery gitarist is alberto alverez who knows them very well and lived for 1 year in saintes marie de la mer in 2010
i hope to have you informed enough

rgds

rumbero ;)
rumbero

Postby Amanda » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for the info, rumbero!

Amanda

Postby musicfan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:21 pm

Thank you very much. I searched for him and he plays for Gypsy influence in Chicago. Will have to catch a concert.
musicfan

Postby Jusquin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi, all!

Thank you so much for the review, musicfan, and for your additional information, rumbero! I knew the two young men were the sons of Nicolas and Tonino, but I didn't know their names.

(Just got my computer back last night after it crashed last week.) How are you, Amanda?

You are so lucky to have already heard the new CD, musicfan; I will definitely pre-order it from amazon.

Also -- I was in a drive-in yesterday when I saw a car (vintage Ford Fairlane, bright red) with the license plate "rumbero." I was quite surprised. Any connection?

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:57 am

Hi Jusquin and everyone,

I'm doing OK, thanks! Though my left arm has at least 26 staples in it, this cannot keep me away from my computer and the latest Gipsy Kings news! ;) (I had a vascular access created since I'll probably need hemodialysis in the future. Best to be prepared. Staples to come out on 8/27.)

The Gipsy Kings' official website now has a first page about the new album, Savor Flamenco. If you scroll down to near the bottom of the page there is a link to a wonderful new video celebrating their 25-year anniversary, with footage of the Arles concert. Nicolas, Tonino, Patchai, Andre, and Canut are interviewed. Nicolas has an interesting announcement about the future! Here is the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJRhtSo ... e=youtu.be

Also on YouTube, I've noticed a series of videos posted by Yannick Fiquet of the concert in Arles on June 27. There are at least six of these. It's late now so I'll check into these later. There is at least one other video of this concert posted by someone else.

Amanda

Postby Meli » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello Amanda!

Thank you so much for the video. It was really nice to see the passion and energy that the GK still have. They feel so proud of what they have done all of these years. When I heard what Canut said about their age, I felt a little bit sad because it is true. They are not longer young and their children have to continue with the legacy. Thanks again for the link.

I hope everything goes well with your arm, my best wishes for you! :)

Melissa :D
Meli

Postby Jusquin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi, everyone!

Wow, Amanda, 26 staples? Glad to hear those are coming out soon and your recovery is progressing!

That video is a good one! Canut had posted it on Facebook, which was the first thing I went to when I got my computer back. I watched it about half a dozen times and was going to post it here when I saw you had already done it. And Patchaï is promoting the new album on Facebook as well.

Melissa, I think age is relative. My other favorite singer, Justin Hayward, is touring now to promote his new solo album and will be rejoining the Moody Blues for their fall tour soon. He's going to be 67 in October. I've been a fan of his for more than 40 years, and he shows no sign of slowing down or stopping. The Moodies' drummer, Graeme Edge, was 70 on his last birthday, and he has the energy of a man 30 years younger.

Canut's a mere babe by comparison. He still speaks of "sharing the warmth." As long as he and the other GKs feel that way, I don't think they'll stop what they're doing any time soon. All these guys were, as Justin says, "built to last."

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Thanks for your good wishes! :)

You are right that age is relative; the Rolling Stones are still going strong after 50 years! But I too felt a little sad looking at the video. I wish I had been a Gipsy Kings fan from the beginning like so many others. I do count my blessings though, I know I'm so fortunate to have seen them nine times, nine years in a row, and to have met some of them! Canut did look sad in this interview compared to Nicolas, Patchai, Andre, and Tonino. Maybe it was because he knew he wouldn't be coming on the tour this time. I hope all is well with him. He hasn't posted to his blog since April, when he did the long post about his three-day exhibit, "Dans l'univers de Canut Reyes." I don't usually follow Facebook (I find the layout confusing), but if you or anyone else has heard anything from Canut from his Facebook page, please let me know.

I can see a time when The Gipsy Boys will be on tour, they'll all go on stage and do their first number, and then be joined by "surprise guests" -- one or more of the Gipsy Kings! That way, the Gipsy Kings wouldn't have to stop touring abruptly and never do it again; they could transition out of it and enjoy an easier tour schedule, with their sons in the limelight. I'm sure they wouldn't want to go for another 25 years like the Stones; they'll want to enjoy a quiet life at home with their families.

Amanda

Next

Return to Concerts and Tours