Title and Artist unknown

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

Title and Artist unknown

Postby greenship » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Please help me with title and artist of an instrumental discomix track. A description: main instrument is acoustic guitar, no lyrics but now and then male voices shouting, disco/fast rythm, with Brazilian samba flutes and possibly metal drums. The artist could have been "The Gipsy Kings", but I am not sure, - it's their style but who else plays like them? Released approx. 5 years ago.
greenship

Re: Title and Artist unknown

Postby Jusquin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi, Greenship,

It's a bit difficult to identify a piece of music from just a description; do you know if the piece you are referring to is available in a form which can be heard; for example, on a radio station or on YouTube?

Too, the Gipsy Kings have a lot of imitators. While I'd say that most of us here are familiar with their catalogue and might be able to identify something as theirs, it could be a bit more difficult to identify something by a similar group.
Jusquin

Postby greenship » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 am

No, sorry I don't have a link to a version that can be listened to. But this clue may be helpful: the unknown track resembles a piece made by The Gipsy Kings in cooperation with Bananarama. This too is a instrumental mix. So maybe the unknown track is the product of a one-time companionship between The Gipsy Kings and another group than Bananarama.
greenship

Postby musicfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 am

Take a look at this web site. If you have a smart phone, one of these may be able to help. Have used shazam and it works reasonably well, but does not always correctly identify the song if it is being covered by someone else.

http://evolver.fm/2012/10/10/top-5-apps ... ing-songs/
musicfan

Postby Jusquin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Just thought I'd post a link to the Bananarama collaboration, in case anyone was interested and didn't know about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KIwym6EK4

The Gipsy Kings used the pseudonym Alma de Noche (Soul of the Night) on this recording.

Wish I could come up with something helpful, but I'm not finding anything ... .
Jusquin

Postby musicfan » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for posting this. I had heard of the Alma the Noche pseudonym, but not followed through. The video is now gone, but it almost sounded like there may have been some GK backup vocals. The credits did not say so but....

Thanks again...
musicfan

Postby Jusquin » Wed May 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi, musicfan!

Try this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbmygoEWOjc

On the CD itself you can see the credit for Alma de Noche and the reference to "flamenco CD mix."

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi musicfan and Jusquin,

Thanks for the posts! I had never heard of the "Alma de Noche" pseudonym. Jusquin, I bow to your great knowledge of the most obscure facts about the Gipsy Kings! :) The video you posted the link to on April 10 has been taken down by YouTube, but the one from your May 22 post is still up. The vocal sounds like Nicolas.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Fri May 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi, Amanda!

I was pretty sure that the lead vocal was done by Nicolas, and it's probably Tonino handling the lead guitar work. I have no idea who else might have participated, as the others sometimes do, sometimes don't work on other projects.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby greenship » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:51 am

Now I remember the voices, there is no lyrics but a tenor male singing the phrase 'ai ai ai ai ...'. It's not the Long Train running. This track has exactly the same feel as Gipsy Kings music.
greenship

Next

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion