new concerts

Gipsy Kings concerts and tours, past, present and future, including concert reviews.

Re: new concerts

Postby Amanda » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi Jusquin,

I can relate to the trembling hands! Thanks for the additional advice about logging in 20 minutes early and hitting refresh every 5+ minutes.

I'm glad you asked me about the presale date because I just checked again. They had originally listed one presale date & time, this Friday, May 3 at 10 a.m. But I looked again and now they're showing a VIP package presale date of this Wednesday, May 1, at 10 a.m. (regular presale still May 3)! :o The day after tomorrow!

Thanks for your good wishes,

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Amanda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:24 am

Hi Jusquin,

A postscript: I just checked Canut's blog to see if there were any new post or comments from him. As you may know, he did a nice long post with several photos recently about his three-day exhibition in Arles. I posted a comment saying among other things that I hope he will be on the second part of the U.S. tour in the summer.

He posted a comment after that thanking everyone who commented, and specifically answering me. :D I was wondering if you could give me a translation:

"Merci à Amanda pour ses messages et traductions. Je ne sais pas encore si j'irais aux Etats-Unis en Août, la décision ne dépend pas de moi et pourtant je serais tellement heureux de revoir mon public américain. C'est comme ça. Mais je saurai m'occuper, en musique."

I think what he's saying is that he doesn't know yet if he will go to the U.S. in August, that the decision doesn't depend on him...(the rest is what I'm not sure of).

Thanks,

Amanda

Postby Amanda » Wed May 01, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Jusquin,

SUCCESS! :D I used your recommended method of refreshing the page every few minutes. At exactly 10:00 I refreshed and it still said tickets were unavailable, so I just waited maybe five seconds and refreshed again, and it worked. There were some tense moments but everything did go smoothly, and I printed out my receipt (tickets must be picked up at Will Call for the meet-and-greet VIP package).

Details: Seats are in the center section of the orchestra pit ROW AA, seats 101 and 102. Per the seating chart, these are the two seats on the aisle next to the stage left section.

Thanks for your good advice and good wishes!

Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Wed May 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi, Amanda!

GREAT! I'm really happy for you, and glad, too, that you think my advice might have helped! Sounds as though, with the meet-and-greet, you are in for a great evening!

It's nice that you got a reply from Canut to your comment on his blog. Here's what he told you --

"Thanks to Amanda for her messages and translations. I do not know yet if I will be going to the United States in August; the decision does not depend on me, even though I would be so happy to see my American public. That's how it is. But I know music will occupy me."

I do hope that whoever makes those decisions (and I wonder why it isn't him) will decide in favor of his making the second part of the tour. They must know he has fans here who would like to see him.
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Thanks! I figured Canut said something like that. I also wonder why it wouldn't depend on him. It's not like it's 2010, the year of the mysterious misunderstanding, when the rest of the Gipsy Kings didn't want him on the tour. Everything is fine now between them, as evidenced by the photo of Canut and Nicolas at Canut's recent exhibition in Arles. It's hard to imagine why their managers would decide that he shouldn't go. Maybe it's because he may have some other potential obligations to family members or friends during that time. We can only hope for the best and send good thoughts his way.

Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Thu May 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi, Amanda!

I remember having read somewhere (and I wish I could recall now where, so I could reference it) that even though there are eight members of the Gipsy Kings officially, five Reyes and three Baliardos, the most you will see onstage now at any one time is six, because they keep swapping out family members depending on what's going on at home. But if Canut wants to go -- and I have to believe him when he says he does -- and if there are no lingering issues from 2010, it IS hard to imagine why their management would decree that he not come. It's a puzzlement. So as you said, we can only hope for the best and send good thoughts his way.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Sat May 04, 2013 4:39 am

Hi Jusquin,

It's true that they do swap out members, because you'd almost never see all eight in a concert. The first year I saw them was 2005, and there were seven of them there -- the only one who wasn't there was Paco! I am sure of this because I have the concert program. I have read that Diego doesn't do the overseas tours anymore because he has a bad back, but otherwise I think he's OK, because he was at the historic concert in July of 2011 in Palavas, France, featuring all eight Gipsy Kings!

When I saw them in August of last year, Canut wasn't there because he was busy working on his album, but both Paul and Patchai were there, which usually doesn't happen if Canut is there.

I can see why some years some of them may be too busy with family or other obligations to go on tour, but I don't know why their managers would decree that Canut shouldn't go. As you said, it is a puzzlement.

Amanda

Previous

Return to Concerts and Tours