Imagine being able to play like this.....

Artists other than the Gipsy Kings

Imagine being able to play like this.....

Postby musicfan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 pm

Imagine as a fan, being able to play like this.... perhaps it is not the same as the pure enjoyment of listening.

ELENA /Yerevan/ Un amor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpd5q2n0Ejc&NR=1
musicfan

Re: Imagine being able to play like this.....

Postby adele » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 am

Wow!!

Thank you so much for sharing that.

She is amazing!! So inspiring; so touching.

That made my day; thanks.

Adele
adele

Postby billyboggins » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks musicfan...what a super talented musician...a great find
billyboggins

Postby Jusquin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Elena, who is an Armenian musician, has done quite a few Gipsy Kings covers; she is indeed everything you all have said!

I'm a self-taught guitarist and I'm really just starting, after years of doubting that I could do it, to teach myself to play rumba flamenca specifically for Gipsy Kings repertoire. If I could ever play as well as Elena does, I would die happy!
Jusquin

Postby musicfan » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

Congratulations!!!!! You are doing something I have been dreaming of doing for years! When things slow down a bit I hope to take my try at it also. If I could get to the point where I could strum a melody and recognize it, I would be quite happy with that.

I am guessing there are many folks who read this and have similar dreams. If you have found sites with chords/music online, maybe you could share some of them here. (For me it will hopefully be for future reference.)

Best wishes for continued success playing.
musicfan

Postby Amanda » Thu May 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi Jusquin,

I'd like to share in musicfan's congratulations of your teaching yourself to play rumba flamenca after years of doubting you could do it, and my best wishes for your continued success. Musicfan, you're right that many people have similar dreams. I took guitar lessons in the '60s when I was around 8 - 10 years old. It was the influence of The Beatles that got me interested. One-hour private lessons were only three dollars! I enjoyed the beginner sort of lessons, which involved simple chords like G and D. I was able to strum and sing a lot of popular songs the teacher gave me to play, including "Last Train to Clarksville" and "Norwegian Wood" (at that age, I had no clue about the true meaning of the lyrics!). After a hiatus of taking lessons, I got a different teacher who gave me more advanced lessons. He taught me bar chords, but the index finger of my little hand didn't have enough leverage or strength to push hard enough on the fret board to make a clear sound. I got so frustrated that I gave up guitar lessons and never returned to them.

I'm now 55 and have been a Gipsy Kings fan since 2004. I sing along with their songs all the time. I wouldn't expect myself to play rumba flamenca (I still have little hands), but I know I could strum simple chords and enjoy playing. I really should do this. Musicfan, I encourage you to go for it! Strumming a melody with simple chords isn't difficult. Jusquin, if you have any tips about websites, etc., I'd appreciate that info too. Thanks!

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby musicfan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 am

I occasionally check this channel to see if I can discover any new artists, since she clearly has very good taste in music :)

I thought to post these as a follow up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSqXh4G ... F0EToygf7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLP4efQ ... F0EToygf7Q

Good for her!
musicfan

Return to Other Artists