weirdest video

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

weirdest video

Postby billyboggins » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:19 pm

This is probably the weirdest video the GK's have been involved in full of meaning i am sure but most of it lost on me but really like it anyway its old and you've probably seen it before what do you think of it ?..check it out here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRqPfy3 ... 718EE30A9D
billyboggins

Re: weirdest video

Postby musicfan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Definitely one of their more a vanguard videos. Thanks for posting. :)
musicfan

Postby Amanda » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:58 am

Hi billyboggins,

Thanks for the post! Somehow, this does look familiar to me. I think I've seen it, but not recently. Over two years ago I started compiling a long document of links to GK videos on YouTube. This one is not on that list (I just added it), so I may have seen it on YouTube before I started the list. You're right, it has to be their weirdest video and must be full of meaning, though I can't figure it out either. Though I'm not crazy about the dark surrealism, since to me it doesn't go with their music, I think it shows that they were open to experimentation with their videos. It is certainly imaginative with good production values. As usual, for my taste, there's far too much of the other characters and far too little of the GK.

I even wonder if the filmmaker had been smoking something other than tobacco. ;)

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 pm

It is a strange video; any idea when it was made (I'm guessing maybe late 1980s, early 1990s)?

The reason I ask is because that video kind of reminds me of one that was made in 1986 for a song by the Moody Blues called "The Other Side of Life." You've got these same mannequin-type characters in a similar strange dream/nightmare scenario. (For the purpose of comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USujNc5uPBs)

With the Moody Blues I think the producers took their cue from the title of the song; with the Gipsy Kings, I think it might have come from the idea of a dream (Spanish sueño) mentioned several times in the lyrics of the song: "Piensa no es el sueño/Piensa no porque no me quiere el sueño" ("I think it is not a dream/I think not, because I don't want the dream").
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Thanks for the insight about the lyrics.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion