Los Angeles concert, August 18!

Gipsy Kings concerts and tours, past, present and future, including concert reviews.

Los Angeles concert, August 18!

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Hello everyone,

A wonderful concert at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live! :D I think it was the best ever, except for the absence of Canut, who is always greatly missed if he’s not there (present were Andre, Patchai, Nicolas, Tonino, Paco, and Paul; the usual members of the backup band were also there, including Pacheco and “The Professor”). The silver lining to Canut’s absence was that Patchai and Paul did more lead singing. After I got home I wrote down all the songs I could remember: A Ti A Ti (Nicolas, first song of the concert); La Dona (Andre); A Tu Vera (Paul, who was in Canut’s usual spot); Djobi Djoba (Paul); La Negra (Andre); Todos Olé (Patchai); Pena Penita (Patchai lead singer, and Paul); Sueño de Noche (a song that sounds new to many of us here in the U.S., but was actually on the European version of Compas, according to Forum member Meli); Un Amor (Nicolas, of course, sings it better every year); the new songs Samba and Caramelo; A Mi Manera (Nicolas); Volare (Nicolas, last song before the encore); Bamboleo (Nicolas; this was the encore as usual). There were also about five of Tonino’s instrumental numbers; I think three of them were new. The Nokia has the best acoustics I’ve ever heard at a GK concert. This is the first time they've played there. We were also fortunate to be in the first row of the orchestra, not in the center section but close to it.

All of them looked GREAT, had so much energy and were having a wonderful time. Anyone who says “they’re getting old” or “they’re not getting any younger” should have seen this concert!!! I only wish that Nicolas had sung “Habla Me,” which he had sung so beautifully earlier this year in Minneapolis.

When Patchai and Paul started singing Pena Penita, I actually thought it was a brand new song; it took me a while to realize it was Pena Penita. This was because they sang it in such a new way (I wish I knew enough about music to explain how). This shows that they are continually evolving – even when they sing old songs, they never sing them like they did years ago, they are always growing as artists.

I don’t know how long it has been since Nicolas has sung A Mi Manera in concert. He was so great, the powerful way he sang the high notes near the end. When the song was over, he crossed himself three times. I’ve never seen any of the Gipsy Kings do this. He must have been really praying that he would sing the song well, and was grateful to God that his prayers were answered. This was such a touching moment. I was really upset the day after the concert because I was looking up videos of the concert on YouTube; I found a couple of Bamboleo and one of A Mi Manera. The person filming A Mi Manera was sitting very far from the stage, so that the GK all looked like tiny blurry figures. However, the person filming the video occasionally panned over to film the large video screen, which is HIGH DEFINITION – it’s so far beyond what the Greek Theatre and Grove of Anaheim have, it’s like day and night. The color and detail are incredible. The problem was, the person filming A Mi Manera only panned over to the big screen a few times for a few seconds, then went back to filming the faraway stage!! They could have visually captured the performance really well, including Nicolas’ crossing himself at the end, if they had just stayed on that big screen, but they didn’t, missing the opportunity for a much better record of a precious memory. This made me so mad I was in tears.

I hope that more people post videos of this concert on YouTube in the near future!

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Re: Los Angeles concert, August 18!

Postby DRose » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Nice review of the LA concert, Amanda.
Sounds like you had a blast!
I just got home from their concert here in Denver.
My 17 yr old granddaughter went with me. This was her 3rd Gipsy Kings concert. She loves 'em!
They were great, as usual. Paul and Nicholas seemed very happy; big smiles.
Only down side was it was too short. It was over before we knew it. We waited for months to see them,
and then it was over so quickly.
Oh well, I'm happy to have had the opportunity to see them. Will wait for their next US tour (hopefully Canut will be with them then....love his voice).
Take care all you Gipsy King fans :)
DRose

Postby Amanda » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 am

Hi DRose,

I'm glad you and your granddaughter could go to their Denver concert! :) Yes, they looked very happy. I remember a long time ago on the Forum, someone wrote that they had been to one concert years before, and what they remember most was Paul's smile. I agree, the concerts are always too short! I also hope Canut will be back next year for the full tour. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of his solo album, GITANO.

Amanda

Postby Meli » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 am

Hi Amanda, thank you very much for the great review. I have never seen Paul singing "Djobi Djoba", Patchai is not always in USA right? Anyway, happy that you enjoyed the concert :-)

The GK came to my country, but sadly, I couldn't go. Believe me, I cried because I really wanted to see them and Patchai was there too :-(. Only I hope that they come again. Take care Amanda!
Meli

Postby Amanda » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Meli,

I'm so sorry you couldn't go to the concert in your country. :( Where do you live? I know how you must have cried, I would have too! I know that some day you'll see them. Keep on dreaming!

You're right that Patchai isn't always on the U.S. tour; neither is Paul. I hadn't seen Paul since 2007 (though I think he was at some U.S. concerts since then, just not here in Los Angeles). I saw Patchai in 2010, the year that Canut wasn't on the U.S. tour because of the mysterious misunderstanding. That year, he was in Canut's usual spot. I hadn't seen him for a long time. Last year, the only ones who were there were Andre, Nicolas, Tonino, Paco, and Canut.

I forgot to mention, at the end of the concert, Nicolas thanked the audience in French and Spanish, then said, "America, America, America, I love you, I love you, I love you!"

Amanda

Postby musicfan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:00 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the concert information with us!

I hope someone has captured the changed Pena Penita on youtube for us to see. It is really wonderful to watch how they reinvent their songs.
musicfan

Postby Meli » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi Amanda, I live in Mexico and I think that it was their first time here. My mom says that they came in the 90s, but I was a little baby :D and I don't remember nothing. Do you know if they did? Yeah, I remember when Canut wasn't in the US tour for a "strange reason". I will still waiting for them :P and thanks for your kinds words. All the best Amanda!
Meli

Postby jonca » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Have to agree with you Amanda. One of the best GK concerts if seen since 1995. I really did miss Canut, was in front of Paul (Canuts usual position) but was happy to see Paul (Pablo). He did a great job, always has a big smile and really has a very good voice! Nicolas was spot on with his voice, everyone else great also. Was a little dissappointed that Sabroso wasn't on the play list as it features the rest of the group....
Sorry I wasn't able to hook up with you at this concert.... maybe next time ! :))
PS: Canut has a new CD coming out and I believe was one of the reasons he wasn't on tour. He does have a facebook account and has previews there. He also accepts friends and does answer messages. He is truly one of the best, most honest, friends I have ever had on facebook.
jonca

Postby Amanda » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi Meli,

I don't know if the Gipsy Kings came to Mexico in the '90s. I only started listening to their music in 2004! :| I wish I had started going to their concerts earlier. They come here to southern California every year, and since Mexico is so close by, I hope they come back to perform in Mexico so you can see them. Where in Mexico do you live?

Hi musicfan,

You're welcome! I also hope that someone captured Pena Penita and will post it on YouTube. I'll check YouTube again soon to see if anyone posted more videos of the concert. By the way, I just remembered, they sang another song that I forgot about when I wrote my review of the concert: LA QUIERO! I think Andre was the lead singer. This is a great song that hasn't been on any GK album to my knowledge. Maybe it will be on the new album we've been waiting for for so long! I know they sang it at the Moscow concert in 1995:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp90ObhV ... re=related

They sang it with just as much energy last week as they did seventeen years ago!!

Hi jonca,

We were also in front of Paul! My seat was parallel with the Stage left aisle of the Pit, which was right in front of Paul. He did look great and always encourages the audience to get up and dance. You're right, It would have been nice if the concert had included Sabroso, because the members of the backup band get to do a lot of improvisation. I remember (this might have been the same year) when Pacheco engaged the audience in a call-and-response, and "The Professor" danced! They probably didn't include Sabroso because it's a long number, and they wanted to include Tonino's new compositions. That's why there really can never be a "best ever" concert, because each one is great in different ways.

Canut has also posted on his blog about his new CD, and he's created a new website about it:

http://canutreyes.net/

The website has a video by Gildas Boclé of one of the songs, "Sirenas." It alternates scenes of Canut singing the song with scenes of the ocean, etc. Also, if you click on "Musique," that page has portions of the title song "Gitano" and another song, "La Salvadora." Canut has surpassed himself! :D

Amanda

Postby musicfan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi,

La Quiero is on Gipsy Kings Greatest Hits, Gipsy kings Live and The Very Best of Gipsy Kings, Disk 1. These are sometimes available used on amazon - did not check Itunes.

Also thanks for the information on Canuts CD. I listened...... really special. Can't wait for the whole thing to be released. (I still like CD's.)
musicfan

Next

Return to Concerts and Tours