One Love

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

One Love

Postby Jusquin » Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 am

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but I just discovered it and thought there might be others for whom this video is something new: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUSq3daWtQk

From what information I've been able to find, the video was done as part of a Millennium TV special called 2000 Today, broadcast by 60 countries to celebrate 1999-2000: "One Love," the global anthem for a new millennium, is the new multi-lingual version of Bob Marley's reggae classic sung by Ziggy Marley, The Gipsy Kings, Tsidii Le Loka (from Lesotho, South Africa; she originated the role of Rafiki in The Lion King on Broadway) and members of the Boys Choir of Harlem.

The Gipsy Kings performed the song live from Miami at 11:57 p.m. on December 31, 1999. This version features just the Gipsy Kings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQu7SiltN8s

The song itself, of course, became ubiquitous on commercials for the Jamaican tourist industry.
Jusquin

Re: One Love

Postby Amanda » Sat May 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Jusquin,

Thanks for the post! I have seen that first video before, but it has a been a while, and it's well worth watching again. I've never heard that audio of just the Gipsy Kings singing "One Love." It sounds like there are some backup singers too. I wish we had the video of that live performance.

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Postby Jusquin » Sat May 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi, Amanda!

I looked for a video of that performance and was not able to find one. In reference to an audio I found this: "The single is available exclusively on the Sony Classical soundtrack 2000 Today, official soundtrack to the MILLENNIUM 2000 broadcast event featuring the original score by celebrated composer Tan Dun." I'm assuming that means the Ziggy-Tsidii-Gipsy Kings-Boy Choir version.

I'm guessing that the version with the Gipsy Kings is what was offered as a bonus track on the Mexican release of the Somos Gitanos album.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Postby Amanda » Sun May 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi Jusquin,

I'm impressed by your reference skills! :)

Amanda :geek:
Amanda

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion