Kings of the World

Let's discuss the Gipsy Kings

Kings of the World

Postby Jusquin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:42 am

"The Camargue, in the south of France, is the native land of a small community of gipsies from which have issued legendary musicians such as Manitas de Plata and the Gipsy Kings. The whole world knows their music. But few people know their story."

So begins Kings of the World, a wonderful documentary on the world of Gipsy music in southern France, featuring members of two of the greatest Gipsy musical groups in the world today -- the Gipsy Kings and Gipsy del Mundo. French is spoken throughout, but it's not that hard to follow for non-French speakers.

Members of the Reyes, Regis, and Baliardo families trace their musical lineage from Rajasthan, India (where Gipsies are thought to have originated) across Europe and North Africa into Spain and southern France. They acknowledge the "founding fathers" of their own families, Manitas de Plata and José Reyes, and go on to share their memories of how they learned to play and sing and just enjoy life in the gipsy caravans where they grew up.

It's a fascinating history, full of fabulous music and joie de vivre.

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuBKrZeG4xc
Jusquin

Re: Kings of the World

Postby musicfan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks so much for sharing this link!!
I was very much hoping this would eventually be posted somewhere for all to see.

I am not always the first to discover things, but along those lines, there was a re-release this spring of 9 "Manitas the Plata" albums. Jose Reyes sings on quite a few. The collection is on Spotify, but many of the songs have not been released. I am guessing this is due to copyright/release issues. The collection is also available on amazon and ebay.

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Legend-Mani ... B00UNS8OFC

For those who like the song "La Camarga" have a listen... it's there.. :)

From what I have heard on Spotify, this is an Amazing collection.
musicfan

Re: Kings of the World

Postby Jusquin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Thank you for posting the Manitas link, musicfan!

I will definitely check that out.

Jusquin
Jusquin

Return to Gipsy Kings General Discussion